HEALTHY DIET PLAN
is not about staying unrealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the food you love. It’s about feeling good, improving your health, and boosting your mood. A healthy diet is necessary for health and nutrition.
A healthy diet comprises a combination of different kinds of food. These include:
- Staples (wheat, barley, rye, maize or rice) or starchy tubers (potato, yam or cassava).
- Legumes (lentils and beans).
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Meat, fish, eggs and milk.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF EATING HEALTHY?
- Weight loss.
- Reduced cancer risk (diet rich in fruits and vegetables help to protect against cancer).
- Helps in diabetes management. Eating a healthy diet helps diabetic person to reduce weight, maintain blood glucose level and keeping blood pressure and cholesterol within normal range).
- Good heart health and prevention of stroke. Premature heart disease and stroke can be prevented by changing lifestyle.
- The health of next generation (children learn a lot from adults about health-related behaviors).
- Healthy diet keeps bones and teeth strong.
- Betters mood of people. High glycemic load cause depression and fatigue. Vegetables, fruits, and whole grains have a lower glycemic load.
- A healthy diet prevents dementia (improved memory). Vitamin D, C, and E improves memory.
- Gut health is improved. Certain bacteria produce vitamin K and B, which benefit the colon. A diet low in fiber and high in sugar and fats alters gut microbiome, increasing inflammation.
- Ensure restful sleep. Reducing the consumption of alcohol and caffeine help in getting a good night’s sleep.
Here is what you need to know about each meal :
Daily menu planning isn’t difficult as each meal have some protein, fat, complex carbohydrates, and little of fat.
- Eating breakfast will help you start your day with plenty of energy. A mid-morning snack is optional. Lunch is something you eat at work, so choose healthy clear food like sandwich or fresh salad. A mid-afternoon snack is optional too. Dinner is a time when we usually over-eat, so take protein, starch, fruits, and vegetables equally.
What to eat for healthy life?
- 6 to 8 servings of grain.
- 2 to 4 servings of fruits and 4 to 6 servings of vegetables.
- 2 to 3 servings of milk, yogurt, and cheese.
- 2 to 3 servings of meat, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.
- Use of fats, oils, and sweets should be less.
How many calories should I eat
Need of calories depends on sex, age, body type, and physical activity.
Children ages 2 to 8 need 1,400-2000 calories a day. Active women ages 14 to 30 need 2,400 calories a day. Sedentary women ages 14 to 30 need 1,800 to 2,000 calories a day. Active men ages 14 to 30 years need 2,800 to 3,200 calories a day. Sedentary men ages 14 to 30 years need 2,000 to 2,600 calories a day. Active men and women over 30 years need 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day. Sedentary men and women over 30 years need 1600 to 2,400 calories a day.